This is the website (http://scholargypsy.judgefamily.org.uk/) for the 56 foot Narrow boat Scholar Gypsy. Use the menus above to navigate around the site.
To contact me, please use the form below. You can also follow the boat’s (fairly quiet) twitter feed here.
A bit of history and information about the boat …
SG is currently based on the River Great Ouse at Ely. Previous home moorings include:
- 2003-2014: Braunston
- 1993-2003: Willlowtree marina, Paddington Arm
- 1981-1993: Fenny Compton, South Oxford, with visits to Cowroast on the Grand Union
- 1979-1981: Aynho Wharf, South Oxford
Please click on these links for:
- Photographs 2003-2010, and photographs from 2011 onwards
- The boat’s instruction manual , plus extra information on fuel additives
- Electrical wiring diagram (For the 1992 version, for previous engine room, here and here)
- Adverc alternator controller instructions
- Ely marina instructions
- Map of moorings on the Great Ouse and its tributaries.
- Water levels on the Great Ouse
Our previous boats were:
Shetland 535, named Marly (September 1971 – August 1972, at which point we decided it was too small after an incident involving spaghetti on the floor)
Shetland 570 (1972-77), named Scholar Gypsy
The narrowboat Scholar Gypsy (reconditioned BMC 1.5) was 32 feet long when launched at Hoo Mill in 1979. It has been stretched twice, to 45 feet at Hoo Mill in 1982, and then to 56 feet (with a new stern section replacing the old engine room and aft cabin) at Braunston in 1994.
The banner photograph shows the boat at Thrapston on the River Nene, April 2014.